Dear CPS Parents and Guardians,
The health and safety of our students and staff remain our top priorities. Late yesterday evening, we were notified about a self quarantine of a staff member at one of our schools, which prompted us to immediately close the school to conduct preventative cleaning and sanitation of the entire building. We are working closely with the Cincinnati Health Commissioner. There are no confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in our district.
Our priority throughout the district is to prevent the introduction of the virus in our schools. To date, we have:
- Instructed our custodial staff to perform enhanced cleaning and sanitation of all of our school buildings. In addition, they will increase the routine cleaning of "high-touch" surfaces in the schools, such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets and keyboards.
- Delivered bleach wipes, spray disinfectant and gloves to all schools for use in classrooms.
- Promoted guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) about how our students and staff can help prevent the spread of coronavirus by washing hands thoroughly and frequently; avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands; and staying home if they are feeling sick. Absences will be excused.
- Canceled all international and domestic travel for students and staff. We were concerned about students potentially being quarantined either abroad or upon their return home. Coronavirus has a lengthy incubation period of up to 14 days, so we must consider the safety of entire school communities.
- Instructed yellow bus vendors to enhance the cleaning and sanitation of all vehicles — paying special attention to hand rails and other places that students and drivers touch with their hands. Metro buses are using chlorinated sanitizing disinfectant on all surfaces inside the buses and bus facilities, including poles, stanchions and seats. They will use a special sprayer that helps the disinfectant adhere to surfaces for better results.
This afternoon, the city of Cincinnati is convening a meeting to prepare our city's emergency response to coronavirus. Cincinnati Public Schools will be participating in this meeting. We also will continue to follow the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as it monitors the spread of this virus. In the meantime, our priority will be preventing the introduction of coronavirus in our schools.
If health officials encourage us to close schools, teachers will send work packets home with students to support continued learning. We will attach instructions for families to access these packets electronically via Schoology.
We will continue to evaluate the situation and will provide updates as we have them. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Laura Mitchell, Superintendent
For the latest updates visit the Coronavirus section of the District Website under News.