Our history begins about the year 1850, when in the Hillside School we find George W. Oyler, one of two teachers. The Township School was known as Higher School, in which Mr. Oyler taught in about 1860. Through his diligent efforts in training the youth of that period for loyal citizenship and inspiring them with a love for, "that which was decent," we find him in a supervisory position over the five schools, visiting them from time to time.
In 1872, a need was felt for a consolidated school and as a result what is now the central portion of the building was built. In the building were twelve classrooms. Later in order to adapt to the changing times, an additional wing of three rooms were added to the east side of the building. Still later another wing was added in order to meet the growing needs of the community.
On March 19, 1907, a greater portion of the building was destroyed by fire. After repairs and remodeling were completed, we find Oyler School having a Kindergarten and Domestic Science room in the main building. An additional building was built in the yard to take care of the manual Arts.
As the community continued to grow and develop due to the opportunities offered in this immediate vicinity. The school was confronted from time to time with the problem of providing the best means of service to the neighborhood. As well as providing adequate facilities for the children to live a life of usefulness. As a result it was necessary to build or provide seven additional classrooms, which were placed in the yards. Added to the curriculum we find courses in printing, sewing, cooking, orchestra, and piano.
In fact, in our present inadequate, old and worn-out building, we are carrying out modern methods of education under difficult and trying situations.
The school originally known as the 21st District, was changed to George W. Oyler in 1900 when Mr. Oyler retired from active service. This was done to honor one who spent more than fifty years of his life shaping and molding the character of young people.
Mr. Vorhees followed Mr. Oyler as principal and carried on until 1915. Mr. Vorhees was a man who was held in high esteem by the residents and businesses of the community. His untiring efforts to fit the boy and girl into the rapidly changing mechanical industries were backed by the various businesses interests. As a result we find Oyler School a pioneer in the movement of establishing the Practical Arts in wood working for boys and girls. His life at Oyler was a concerted effort to fuse into one the life of school, community and home.
Mr. Johston who succeeded Mr. Vorhees as principal continues to strive for social adjustment. His motto probably is to have a school that will help the community to help itself. Through the many activities which are now going on within the building both day and night under his leadership, we look to the future as offering us a larger field for service.
In the rank and file of those who have gone forth into life from this school we find doctors, lawyers, teachers, ministers, as well as those who have become successful in business enterprises.
The year 1930 find this particular school again meeting the needs of the community by providing a building which will be equipped to help the youth of this neighborhood fit themselves into our rapidly changing civilization. The New Building contains a modern Kindergarten, 46 classrooms, a Metal Shop, an Electric Shop, a Print Shop, a Woodworking Shop, a Mechanical Drawing Room, 2 Cooking Rooms, 2 Sewing Rooms, a Library, 2 Gymnasiums, an auditorium seating 550, and a Lunch Room. In addition are the administration rooms.